St. Francis Xavier’s Inter College, Ashok Nagar, Kanpur, a renowned educational institution of Kanpur, was established in the year 1948. It is a Christian Minority Institution, run by the Catholic Education Society, which is governed by the Diocese of Allahabad. The school was set up basically to cater to the academic and non-academic needs of the Catholic Children. But admission is open to one and all, irrespective of their caste, creed, culture and language. This school is situated in a clean and posh backdrop of Kanpur city. The school has a highly qualified and dedicated faculty, who are specialized in their respective subjects. They are fully committed to their noble task of imparting the knowledge and inculcating the values in them. The school is well equipped with a library, science labs, computer labs and a beautiful playground to help the students to realize their latent potentialities. The school prepares the students for the High School and Inter-Mediate Board Examinations, conducted by the Uttar Pradesh Board of Secondary Education, Allahabad.
St. Francis Xavier’s Inter College, which has completed six decades of enlightening the young minds, has a glorious and memorable historical past. An era, stretching to about six decades has been invested to bring the school to its current iconic status. Its foundation has been cemented by the blood and sweat of many priests. Some of them have already set off to their heavenly abode while others are leading their lives in sanctity after seeking their retirement and some others are actively serving the church in various capacities. Their tireless efforts in raising the institution to its current height can never be overlooked. To start with, this panoramic journey began in the year 1944, when a Canadian priest Lt. Rev. Fr. Andrew purchased this site in the heart of the city. The building in the North direction was the first one to be erected within the premises. This block housed the Manager’s residence and a multipurpose hall, which served both as a classroom on weekdays and Chapel on Sundays. Later as the number of the students increased, a need to have a separate block was felt. As a result the foundation stone of the present building was set up in the year 1948. Since there were no provisions for a separate school for girls in the neighborhood, co-education was imparted in the early years. Fr. Andrew along with his colleague Rev. Fr. Stephen taught children with great fervor and devotion. In 1949, the reigns of the school was taken over by Lt. Rev. Fr. Faustin Alva, who was a farsighted and a diligent visionary. Under his flagship the mammoth task of constructing a school for girls in the vicinity was achieved in 1952. This school is now known as Fatima Convent. Due to Fr. Alva’s persistent and untiring efforts the earned the recognition of High School from Uttar Pradesh Board of Education in 1955. Rev. Fr. John C. D’ Souza was appointed the first principal of the school in the year 1957. The school was granted financial aid from the UP State government in the year 1962. The school under Fr. John’s able guidance marched effortlessly on the path of academic triumph to earn the reputation of being the epitome among the preminum education hubs of Kanpur City. The strength of the students increased by leaps and bounds. In 1963. Lt. Rev. Fr. Noel D’ Souza was appointed the principal of the school. Under his guidance and leadership the school became the synonym for unparallel scholastic achievements. Admission in the school was considered to be the matter of pride and prestige. The flawless academic performance of the students in the state board exams added glitter and gloss to the aura of the school. In 1981, Rev. Fr. Xavier Lobo took over from Fr. Noel, who efficiently carried forward the legacy, left behind by his predecessors. The year 1986, aw the advent of yet another great visionary in the person of Rev. Fr. J. B. Castelino. Under his guidance and leadership skills the school scaled new heights and its name and fame was spread far and wide. In 1993, the new Church building was premeditated owing to the efforts of the Manager, Rev. Fr. William D’ Souza and Principal Rev. Fr. J. B. Castellino. This ostentatious building is rightly given the status of being one of the outstanding land mark of the city. The unaided section was started in the year 1992 and later in 2005 the school got the recognition for conducting Intermediate classes. The year 2008, saw the advent of yet another young and dynamic Principal in the person of Rev. Fr. Rajesh Simon Thakur. Under his leadership and guidance, this institution is not only triumphing new arenas of success not only in the field of academics but also multifarious co- curricular activities but also conquering new horizons and soaring new heights. He is working tirelessly day in and day out to make the school achieve its former glory. His hard-work has already started bearing fruit as we had excellent board exam results, for two consecutive years.
Education is neither a book learning, nor the process of imparting knowledge, but it should be an awakening of inquisitiveness, development of proper interest, attitudes, values and building up of essential skills. Thus we try to enable the students to prepare for life which does not mean just seeing the child clearing the board examination, but to equip him to life as critical thinker and active worker.